Author
Topic: 1870 high grade shinplaster  (Read 4548 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »

N/A
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:11:25 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »

I read somewhere that shinplasters were all cut from sheets by hand. So given that, I would'nt discount it any, as they would all be different.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:02:58 pm »

Isn't it the variation resulting from the manual cutting of Dominion of Canada notes that gives each note a unique look and thus a unique value in the eyes of collectors?

No hay banda  
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:04 pm »

I read somewhere that shinplasters were all cut from sheets by hand. So given that, I wouldn't discount it any, as they would all be different.

This is a very fresh and attractive note apart from the significant loss of design due to the bias cut at the bottom. "Bias cut" often refers to nothing more than a tight or asymmetric margin but when the actual design is significantly compromised I think a deduction in value has to apply. The questions I always ask myself in situations such as this would typically be "Does the missing design actually bother me?", "Would I want to admire this note on a daily basis?", etc.

For me personally the missing design would reduce the value of the note compared to a wide-margined example by 30-40% but others may have different feelings.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:52:03 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:44:06 pm »

For me personally the missing design would reduce the value of the note compared to a wide-margined example by 30-40% but others may have different feelings.

I would agree. The way the note is cut takes away any eye appeal. Regardless of being hand cut, I would always wonder if the person had a liquid lunch just before doing some snipping ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length