Author
Topic: Damaged Canada 1935 french 25 dollars bill. Very low serial number.  (Read 6185 times)
Anton

I recently recived canadian 1935 french 25 dollars bill. Althou most of the bill is in almost crisp condition,at some point it has been very badly repared in the middle. I can't tell exacly what happened to it and who fixed it but it seems to be a wile ago. My question is should i restore it to get a better deal or sell it as is. And how much could it be worth in this condition and restored. Thank You.

[edit]Converted large images to thumbnails. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:19:16 pm by BWJM »
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:35:07 pm »

I would not do anything to the note. It is what it is. Restoring it will improve the look perhaps but not likely its value. This is not an ugly note, especially on the front. The very low number also distracts from the tape... Great number...
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:11:21 pm »

Alvin5454 is right, don't touch the note and it's a very nice number !!!

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
Anton
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:53:16 am »

But what would be the notes grade in it's present condition. And does anyone have any idea of it's value?
Thank you everyone! This is an amazing forum!
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »

Nice Catch!

The note would have graded a nice Fine would it not be for the damage and tape. It looks like the note was torn in half but perhaps you could confirm this for us? While opinions may differ greatly on this I think the note is a split grade from Good to VG. If the tape glue did not start eating away at the paper making it almost transparent when holding the note up to the light then I might grade it a lower end VG.

If the note sounds really crisp it is most likely a result of being pressed as it does appear to have considerable circulation on the margins and corners.

While I would certainly not advise you to repair the tear perhaps you may enquirer on professionally removing the tape residue before the note becomes too fragile if it is note already to late. It would be a lateral move where you substitute one foreign object on the note for an other which may be less of an eye soar. Restoration will not improve your notes value as the amount you put to restore the note may exceed the final benefits when you sell it.

KC's Canadian Currency
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »

Get that glue residue off before it renders the note next to worthless!

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:16:44 pm »

This looks like a VG to me. The low number 8 is whats really going to bring the value up. In past auctions there was a $25 French #000005 in slightly better condition (with no tape job) and the price was listed at almost $10,000. A little exagerated i think but for your note you may still be able to get $4,500 for it. Do not try restoring it! This can do more harm than good.

Login with username, password and session length