Author
Topic: 12 consecutive 1954 $1 replacement notes  (Read 6486 times)
OldCoinGuy
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »

Hi, I am new to the forum but have been in the coin hobby for 50+ years.  I am primarily a coin collector but I have picked up some interesting currency over the years.  These notes were removed from a new bundle of notes, in the early 70s as I recall, by my wife at the time.  They are crisp CU and went directly into a SDB where they have been ever since.  What I am wondering is if the 12 consecutive notes would bring a premium over the catalogue single note value.

$! Beattie/Rasminsky (BC37-bA?) *N/Y 0686135-46 (12 consecutive)

I have a 2 digit radar as well which I will put in a separate post.

Thanks
OldCoinGuy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:22 am »

I didn't real far enough into the older posts.  I see jcalhoun posted the same question and it was answered.  I am, though, somewhat in disbelief at the value quoted!
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:46 pm »

You lucky man, your wife saved some nice notes. If I do not have my notes in holders, they get spent by mine.

With a slow market and especially knowing there are 12 consecutive *N/Y’s coming or potentially coming to the market, this will have a great impact on the price of the note, and not in the upward direction. With the recent finds, this prefix will satisfy the market rather nicely with high grade *N/Y notes.

High grade notes are very desirable, but the more there are, the less demand there is.

My thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:22:24 pm by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
OldCoinGuy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:26:45 pm »

Sounds like I should spread out sales over the next few years.   These bills went straight from the Bank of Canada bundle to the safety deposit box where they have remained for almost 40 years.  I believe they will grade CU to Gem.   Do you recommend I get them professionally graded?  If so, what service would you recommend?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »

Sounds like I should spread out sales over the next few years.   These bills went straight from the Bank of Canada bundle to the safety deposit box where they have remained for almost 40 years.  I believe they will grade CU to Gem.   Do you recommend I get them professionally graded?  If so, what service would you recommend?

Personally spreading out sales over the next few years won't make a difference that a run of 12 consecutive notes in UNC or better have been found, simply because as another member mentioned that the fact that the more notes known makes it less scarce...
Currently the market is slow, but who is to say that in a few years it gets any better...

As for TPG you can look at previous posts as to peoples opinions on them...however many collectors will still prefer buying the raw note which allows them to see exactly what they are buying. Once in a plastic holder it is difficult for some things to be seen clearly...
Only my opinion
Good Luck and welcome to the forum
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »

I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, but I'll say it anyways.  Spreading out the sale of so many rare notes over the course of several years would be exactly the right thing to do.  That will keep the market from becoming saturated.  It will also hide the fact that so many Uncirculated *N/Y notes exist.  The catalogue price for an Unc note is based on the assumption that so few exist.  But as your post, OldCoinGuy, and that of the other recent owner of several *N/Y notes indicate, these notes are not nearly as scarce as previously believed.  Not everyone who collects Canadian paper money reads these boards, so you still have a good number of potential buyers out there.

While I tend to agree with fredsquid about professional grading, these particular notes might actually benefit from being slabbed.  I think having them graded can only enhance the illusion that they are really rare and special, especially if they are as pristine as you say they could be.

I'm leaving now before the rotten tomatoes start flying.  ;)

M

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:21:17 am »

I think having them graded can only enhance the illusion that they are really rare and special, especially if they are as pristine as you say they could be.

The clincher here is just that....if they are as pristine as you say they are...
If a TPG grades your note as an AU instead of what a collector with limited grading skills sees as a Ch Unc once it is slabbed you just cut your profit in half..(assuming we are using cat prices)
If you do go the grading route you can always get one note done first, just to get a feel for what you may have... Only an opinion....and no rotten tomatoes :)
FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:24:13 am by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Tim
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:56 am »

OldCoinGuy,

Just curious if you have decided on what you are going to do with these notes?  Will you sell them or hang on to them for the time being?  I would most definitely be interested in one of them if you plan on selling.

Cheers

Tim
OldCoinGuy
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:02:41 pm »

I have sent a small sampling of the notes to BCS to get a confirmation of condition.  When I get those notes back in the next couple of weeks, I am currently thinking I will put a limited number up for sale to forum members who have indicated interest.   There will likely be a couple graded and a couple of raw notes available.  I do not plan on putting any others on the market or in an auction for a couple of years or so to see how the market shakes out with the other 4 that may come on the market and we see what their condition is.

I have saved the PM you sent me and you are on my "first to contact" list.  I really would like to see these notes go to true collectors for their personal collections rather than dealers or speculators.

I really am still in shock that after almost 40 years I still even have these notes and of all the random notes I could have put away it was this set.  I am enjoying the experience of having what must be the premier collection of this note. 

Login with username, password and session length