Author
Topic: Framing notes  (Read 7183 times)
davepl
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:24 pm »

I know on the surface it might seem a little odd, but I've long wanted to build a complete collection of pairs of all of the 1954 notes and have them framed.  Since I was born in '68 they were just going out of circulation when I was little, and I've always liked them; as I got older I started to appreciate them more and more as art.

This year as I learned more about them I decided to upgrade the fronts to Devil's head editions.  I'm pretty much complete except for the thousands, which as you know get pretty expensive in UA or better.

I was also planning to add a single pair of 1967 one-dollars, since the art on the back is diferent.  But it seems the same across all the notes, so I was only going to do the one.  Does that make sense?

My bigger question is in the framing.  Do I just need a knowledgeable framer (acid free backing, UV protection, etc) the same as I would a piece of art, or are there special considerations (other than physical security I suppose) for preserving paper money when framed?

Thanks!
Dave
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:05:11 pm »

One thing to make sure of is that the notes are not fastened using any type of glues or adhesives and that the glass is not pressing the notes causing any embossing to be flattened out of the notes....the value of the notes will drop considerably if you try to sell them down the road....I have seen a very nice display that was hand made by a friend of mine where notes are in individual sealed plastic holders (in which they can freely move if shaken) and the individual cases are recessed in the wooden backing. The frame was made in a way where you could flip it over easily and the front and back of the notes could be seen depending how it was hanging on the wall. You may consider someone who is good in woodworking if you can't find a framer that can do what you want done. Only an opinion.....

Friedsquid

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
therealco1986
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »

Folks,

I'd like to speak to this for just a moment.  This is my first post, but I have some experience framing my notes.  After much consideration, I had decided to purchase my own frames and do my own borders using matte paper.  I took a set of $1 Bank of Canada Notes 1937, 1954, 1967, 1973 and asked them to frame with the Queen facing out.  But they told me they would have to fix the notes using a glue of some sort.

Instead, I cut my own matte with four cutouts for the notes and an extra slot on the bottom for a plate I had made up with BANK OF CANADA - One Dollar Bank Notes on it.  It looked magnificent, except for my greenhorn cutting technique on the matte board.  I used regular paper sheets with ultra high whiteness to mount the notes and used acid free photo corners so I would not have to glue the notes.  Instead, they sit safely within the plastic corners.  I plan to do this for my $2 notes and $5 notes up to 1986 series (as no 1967 series exists like it does for the $1 note).

I feel I will be able to frame the next ones better because I have some more experience with cutting my matte.  I will post pictures eventually when I get a few taken.  But, I think the end result is still nice despite my amateur efforts.  Later I intend to frame the front and back of the 1986 $2 and the $1 centennial note front and back to show the differences.  As well, I intend to frame my $1 - $20 Devil's Face notes to show the different notes that existed and hang them in my wall.  So far, I am working on my collection up to $20, but intend to move to the $50 and $100 as funds permit and then I will work on getting the 1935 series and earlier.

Too many notes to collect.

Thanks

RJB

Login with username, password and session length