Author
Topic: 1911 Dollar Bill. Condition? Almost UNC but not quite?  (Read 5109 times)
Cameroon66
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:55:15 am »

I found this bill today in my father's safety deposit box.  I have searched the web but come up with very little info about this bill.   Does anyone know about circulation, scarcity and perhaps even value?

Thanks in advance!
Cam

There is another note below in the scan and it overlaps some - poorly done I know.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:44:01 pm by BWJM »
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:03:27 am »

No. it's not Unc or even close to it.  I see three vertical folds and a horizontal fold.  There's even a slight loss of design on the right vertical fold.  So you're looking at VF or VF+.

To know more about the 1911 $1 issue, find a copy of the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money.  They're not scarce and circulated extensively for a number of years.

Your note is series A, green line, the very first series.  The earlier series are worth more according to the catalogue but I see overall parity in the marketplace, meaning collectors looking for a certain grade of 1911 $1 note are not going to pay a whole lot more for an early green line series note, especially in low to middle grade.  In fact, while interest in early Dominion notes is overall strong, the 1911 series is lagging a bit.  I wish I knew why.

A VF note like yours catalogues $650.  Your note looks bright and fresher than usual, so I would add a small premium on that.  The next grade up catalogues $1,300.

Nice find.

M

No hay banda  
Cameroon66
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:12:41 am »

Thanks very much for the info.  Very thorough and interesting. Too bad it was folded at some point!  Maybe 93 years ago?  I think I'll hang on to it but it's nice to know it has some value.

Interesting that it has a specific day rather than a year.  Does anyone know if that is the actual printing date?
Thanks again!
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:37:11 am »

Your note was likely printed in 1911 but not on that specific day.  Notes of the 1911 issue were made up to 1917 when the new series of 1917 was released.  The date on old notes probably refers to the first day they were allowed to be printed.  The catalogue tells us the first notes were delivered to the Finance Department in May 1911, at which time they probably first started showing up in circulation.

Yes, it's a nice note to hang on to.

No hay banda  
Typescore
    • peter_nadeau_2004@hotmail.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:05:28 am »

nice note i have 3 different 1911 that i am hanging onto also.  Around the same grade as yours any ways maybe if you like that note maybe you might get serious
your friend  typescore

Peter Lion

Login with username, password and session length