Author
Topic: Uncut sheet of Canadian $1 Bills (1973)  (Read 19139 times)
worker5
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »

Hello;

I wondering what would be the approximate value of an uncut sheet of Canadian $1 Bills (40 bills). The bills are dated 1973. I am attaching pictures, as it is not in perfect condition. I am new to this, and dont know what grade of quality of condition this would be classified under. It was rolled up, and has some spots of discolouration (more in some areas than others) which i would assume is from being in a basement which gets humid for many years. It also has some thumb tac holes in the corners.

I am considering holding on to it, and possibly framing it properly, but with it's condition dont know if it would be worth it, vs trying to sell it. It seems like I can only attach one picture to this post unfortunately, as i have many, wide angle and close ups. I am showing the most discoloured area in close up but the whole thing is not nearly as bad at this corner

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Mark
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »

What are the serial numbers of the notes?
worker5
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »

The serial # on each bill is different from the next (I am assuming this is normal) but the first bill (top left corner)  is BFK8600041. They all start out with BKF86 then deviate in a random series of numbers beginning with either 1 or 0...

I also put it up on Kijjiji where they let me put 7 pictures of them up:

[edit]Link removed.  --BWJM[/edit]

Thank you
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:58:11 pm by BWJM »
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

The Charlton catalogue book value for a sheet of notes in AU condition is $150.00.  With the staining and pin holes on your sheet, you might get $75 to $100.  Just my opinion though.

stashthecash
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:22:50 am »

FYI 6 out of 7 of your pics are upside down
stashthecash
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:30:16 am »

The Charlton catalogue book value for a sheet of notes in AU condition is $150.00.  With the staining and pin holes on your sheet, you might get $75 to $100.  Just my opinion though.
From what I see with the staining (which may even be mould/mildew) if they were kept in a damp basement for years, the pin holes and curling of the sheet I think your estimate is too high Many of the notes on the sheet are worth face value at best IMO
worker5
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:44:20 am »

Thank you for your responses so far.

Does anybody know where are the best places to sell sheets of money like this? I may just try and sell it for around $100 as I am not a collector at all.

Thanks again
stashthecash
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »

Thank you for your responses so far.

Does anybody know where are the best places to sell sheets of money like this? I may just try and sell it for around $100 as I am not a collector at all.

Thanks again

I think you could sell it on the trading post here if you have enough postings...you would have to check out the trading post rules
stashthecash
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »

The serial # on each bill is different from the next (I am assuming this is normal) but the first bill (top left corner)  is BFK8600041. They all start out with BKF86 then deviate in a random series of numbers beginning with either 1 or 0...

I also put it up on Kijjiji where they let me put 7 pictures of them up:

Thank you

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you cannot advertize what you have for sale on any other site?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:57:51 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 03:58:28 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you cannot advertize what you have for sale on any other site?

Correct.  Post has been edited.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
worker5
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »

thank you for the info, and sorry I did not realize that I could not post a link to the site I was selling it on.
worker5
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »

I took it to the bank and exchanged it for face value as looking into this was a lot of time, although admittedly very interesting and fun. Funny thing was it look 20 minutes with the teller for them to figure out a)if they would accept it b)if i had to cut them up myself and hand them in to them individually or if they had to cut them up. They accepted it, and just mailed the sheet to head office and give me face value, but you would think they would have protocol for this.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 03:36:27 pm »

Oh gee, that's too bad. I'd gladly have paid you face value plus shipping for it.  :(

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
stashthecash
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:39:02 pm »

I\m sure a lot of people would have been more than happy to pay face value plus postage.
It's too bad that you didn't offer it here as I'm sure a new collector or someone who knows one would have been thrilled
regardless of the condition
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 05:27:52 pm »

aww...I would have given you FV plus shipping for sure...Even in less than perfect shape, the sheets are still a conversation starter...Well, I'll bet one of the tellers took it home...   :(

Login with username, password and session length