Author
Topic: Does anyone use special software to keep track of their currency collections?  (Read 4950 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

Currently I just use Excel to keep track of my banknotes, but I was wondering if any Forum members use any other type of software packages to keep track of banknote information and pictures etc.
FRIEDSQUID.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bwho9d

Yeah, but they are dang expensive. Try Coin Organizer Deluxe. If you edit some description fields (i.e. Change the "mint" data field to "printer"), it works great on paper money.
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351

Hey Squid,
I use excel as well and find it more than adaquet, u can use a comment row to identify your radars devils ,ladders errors etc.and use a filter to print off just these items of interest. U can also use excel to search for duplicate serial #'s . Plus it's free.

bwho9d

Plus it's free.

You know how much Office 2007 costed me?
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency

For those of you paying to get  Microsoft Office I would suggest checking out "Open Office". Its just like Microsoft's versions but its open source "Free". It gives you all the programs you like and their just as easy to use. I like it as it's free and uncracked.

Microsoft will pump out a new version every couple years with nothing but pretty new design and templates that most people only avoid. Save yourself the $$ ;)

KC's Canadian Currency
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

My website is 100% custom-designed from the ground up. It has a database behind it, currently running on MS Access, but I will eventually convert to mySQL.

What "the public" sees and what I see are two different things... When I login, I have the ability to add a new note, and edit or delete an existing note in any category (Canadian, US or foreign). Another feature that I get when I login is that the specimen overprints disappear from the images so I can see them in their full, unadulterated glory. There are also a handful of notes listed on my site that are not visible to the public, but they do show up when I login.

Since it is built on a database, I can easily create a new page to display specifically the information I want (ie: all notes for sale) without having to search the database myself and copy all the relevant notes to the list. Everything gets updated automatically.

It took a lot of time to create the website, and I add new features from time to time. I recently overhauled the way foreign notes are displayed and added the ability to add foreign notes through the website itself. (Previously this had to be done directly on the database.

I've had lots of people ask if they could use my site, or have me create a similar site for them. Only two people have been given this privilege and for the foreseeable future, that's it. The site is not designed to support multiple collections and simply maintaining the three sites now has proven to be more work than expected, therefore the other two sites have fallen behind in terms of updates. Please don't ask me to do a site for you. When I am ready for it, I might extend a few offers to close friends.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

Yours was one of the sites I looked at and was one of the reasons that I asked the question. In the olden days before the PC existed, I designed software on the old WANGS in the BASIC language and file structure and keys were very straight forward. Being a dinosaur myself, I tried creating something in VB, but it was not suitable and the SQL basics that I know can be laughed at so I guess I will just try to do something with ACCESS or EXCEL.

I might extend a few offers to close friends
Does this include your best debt collecter and right hand man 8)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length