Author
Topic: Exclusive! Mark Carney's Signature - Canada's Newest Bank of Canada Governor  (Read 7236 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Hello fellow members,

Today, I had the opportunity to personally meet with Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of Canada.  He succeeded Governor David Dodge, as of February 1st, 2008. 

Govenor Carney was here in Vancouver, for his first-ever public address and media engagement.  He was here talking about the "Impacts of Globalization on Canada". 

During my meeting with him, he personally signed my Bank of Canada book, "The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes".   This will be his signature that will adorn all future Bank of Canada bank notes.  This a FIRST, sneak peak exclusive of his signature.

I also had the opportunity to meet with former Bank of Canada Governor David Dodge a few months ago.  He also personally signed my book. 

This is definately, a "one-of-a-kind" Bank of Canada, the Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes book. 

Michael   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:09:20 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place

Way to go Mike, you must have went out of the way to get his signature. More importantly did he mention anything about when and what will his signature will be appearing on the coming banknotes. He's got to know! He's the Governor.

Dei Gratia!

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
moneycow

Well Done!
Looks like you've still got room for a couple more future signatures.
They must get asked to sign bank notes all the time.  I wonder what their stance is on that.  Did you ask Dodge for a bank note autograph?
I remember Hudson, only half jokingly, saying he was going to attemp to get the Queen's autograph at a dinner.

Any way, that's a fantastic collector piece.

Craig
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency

Very nice Michael, this certainly adds character to your book

I especially like the idea of getting a banknote signed!

KC's Canadian Currency
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

Hmmm it kind of reminds me of Bouey.....   Neat!

And about the Queen, I never did get her autograph.  Although we did play Haki- sack in the green room before the ceremony.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

More importantly did he mention anything about when and what will his signature will be appearing on the coming banknotes. He's got to know! He's the Governor.

Dei Gratia!

Hi PD,

He expects to see bank notes with his signature in circulation in about six months time.  He's already signed his signature which are to appear on the notes.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

They must get asked to sign bank notes all the time.  I wonder what their stance is on that.  Did you ask Dodge for a bank note autograph?

Hi Craig,

Surprisingly, most Bank of Canada Governors seldom receive request to sign their autographs on bank notes.  It's limited to paper money collectors like us.  Most non-collectors do not think of doing this.   Anyhow, I had the opprortunity to meet with former Governor John Crow back in 1995 at the University of Western Ontario.  He was a guest lecturer talking about the Russian Economy to mostly economic professors.  I attended and brought with me an UNC $10 Bird Series Note - Thiessen/Crow.  After the dry lecture and listening to him for 3 hours, some people left, but I went up to him, showed him my $10 note, and kindly asked for his autograph.   To my amazement, he was very hesitant on signing the note.  He made a comment to all the professors that defacing a Canadian bank note is illegal.  But, because other professors were watching, he kind of felt pressured, and he signed my note.  I then had a photograph with him.

Michael

big gun

If i missed something sorry. I have 2 $10 dollar notes with his
signature on them plus 1 $5 dollar note (my 2 cents) 
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Hi big gun,

Thanks for your post.  When I created this subject, it was back in February 2008 (almost a year and half ago).  At that time, MarkCarney was just appointed Governor of the Bank of Canada.  There were no bank notes issued with his signatures in February 2008.  The majority of the notes circulating back then, had Jenkins/Dodge signatures.   No one knew what his signature would look like on the notes until he signed my book.  Only until late last year did the Canadian Journey notes appear with Mark's signature which resembles the notes that you see in your pocket.

I hope this clarifies your inquiry. 

Michael

Login with username, password and session length