Author
Topic: a devils head of 10 and 20 dollar bill any idea the value?  (Read 13347 times)
doryglory
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:59:49 pm »

both signed with Coyne and Towers I beleive its hard to read..
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:01:07 pm »

Can you give us any sort of grade? If not describe what the note looks like, any little tear,crease,missing corner,etc.

A picture would be great!

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:05:36 pm by 1971HemiCuda »

doryglory
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:04:48 pm »

they are in very good shape no creases, the ten is mint and the 20 has a light fold on it..
doryglory
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:17:51 pm »

I have another question.  why do some bills have different signatures. I have 3 1 dollar bills one with Bowey Raminsky? and one with Lawson and Bowey? and one with Beatie and Desyne?
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »

Be
I have another question.  why do some bills have different signatures. I have 3 1 dollar bills one with Bowey Raminsky? and one with Lawson and Bowey? and one with Beatie and Desyne?

The four signature sets for the 1954 series is:

-Coyne-Towers (Only On Devil's Head Notes)
-Beattie-Coyne (On Both Devil's Head And Modified Notes)
-Beattie-Rasminsky (Only On Modified Notes)
-Lawson-Bouey (Only On Modified Note's)

Modified notes are the notes that the Bank Of Canada issued to replace the "Devils Head" note after people had told them that there was a picture of the devil in the queen's hair. And if I am not mistaken the Bank Of Canada issued the modified note in 1956, on all of the denomination's exept for the $1000 bill. This bill was modified a couple years later.

The reason behind the diffrent signatures on the notes are because certin people went out of office at a certin time, so then, the newest person would be the new Govenor, which meant a new signature on a bill. And the old Govenor would then become the Senior Deputy Govenor.

now back to your notes. I would say just from you saying your $10 note is in very good condition. It is most likely in Uncircualted Condition.And It is worth around $250. Just to be sure that it is not a devils head replacement or a changeover (Which would be worth more) could you tell me the prefix and the serial number of the note.

And your $20 note I would say in EF or EF+ condition. And it would have a value of around $150. Again just to be sure could you please tell me the note's prefix and serial number.

And these price's I have told you are only if your note's are in the condition that I guessed they are in based on what you have told me in the previus post's. They might be higher they might be lower, Like I said I had to make a judgment on what you said.

Anyways, I hope this helps, and answers all of your question's for the 1954 "Devil's Face" and modified notes.

If you do decide to post pictures of the front and back of each note I would be more accurate on the grading and could give you a much better estiamte on the price.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:53:01 pm by 1971HemiCuda »

doryglory
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:14:10 pm »

for the 20 the prefix is a/e 3079135 and the 10 its a/d 5879878
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:13:02 am »

The reason behind the diffrent signatures on the notes are because certin people went out of office at a certin time, so then, the newest person would be the new Govenor, which meant a new signature on a bill. And the old Govenor would then become the Senior Deputy Govenor.

While I think you know what you're talking about, it seems to have come out wrong. Permit me to rephrase in a more correct manner.

Banknotes are always issued with the signatures of the then-current Sr. Deputy Governor and the Governor of the Bank of Canada. During the lifetime of the 1954 Series, the people in these offices changed several times. At the start of the series, J.E.Coyne and G.Towers were in office, with Mr. Towers being the Governor. Upon his retirement from decades of faithful service, Mr. Coyne was promoted to Governor, and J.R.Beattie was promoted to Sr. Deputy Governor. Some time later, following the Coyne Affair, J.E.Coyne resigned. Others have come and gone over the years. In total, the 1954 Series had six different signature combinations.

The particular error I wanted to correct was the pattern of succession. Typically, when a Governor resigns or retires, the Sr. Deputy Governor is chosen to succeed him, and in turn, his vacancy is filled by one of the other Deputy Governors of the Bank. However, this is not always the case. L.Rasminsky was promoted directly from Deputy Governor to Governor, never serving as Sr. Deputy Governor. J.R.Beattie was passed up for the role of Governor and retired while still Sr. Deputy Governor. As a modern example, D.A.Dodge was Deputy Minister of Health until his appointment as Governor of the Bank of Canada in 1998. In particular, Governors are never demoted to Sr. Deputy Governor.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 03:31:27 pm »

Thanks.

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:34:10 pm »

for the 20 the prefix is a/e 3079135 and the 10 its a/d 5879878

OK, So there was nothing special about the serial number or prefix, so the price of your notes are around the ones I said in my previous post.

Hope all this helps.

doryglory
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »

thankyou.
jason cole
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:57 pm »

I also have a number of 1954 twenty dollar bills. how can i tell if they are the devils head? or did all the twentys printed that year have the devils head? Does anyone know how i could determine the value?
thanks

Login with username, password and session length